FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Headphone options for a Novo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 8:51am

James - For my HD250 "replacement" option, I need an analytical and brutally accurate sound (to highlight all the impurities in recordings) because it is for monitoring and audio editing/production. I'm only stuck on the 250s because of how Graham described them as a professional, and that's the SQ I need for my hobby (as I've now decided to only use cans).

I believe that closed cans are more for this sort of use (not that I'll have much background noise)? As they are just for my hobby, not for proper listening I think the HD600/650s won't give me what I need as they aren't aimed at production use. There is always the Technics RP-DH1200E-S...?

Miguel - I have a demo booked on the HD650 with Darren at Audio Elevations (once my Novo is fully burned in) to see how they stack up against my short list.

As a side point, do you think the D7000s are better than the 5s? Reviews say they're even more refined.

T
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 12:04am
T

Tricky... this 'world' takes a while to get to grips with !! I'm 2 years in (a novice) and I just had a major kick up the backside not 5 days ago (shhhh... valve amp flirtation ;-)) .

HD250 is unique to my ears.

Where are you in London?

James

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 1:42am
miT, no idea on the D7000 and in a way I do not want to know since I have the D5000 w/ the MarkL mods and a set of his version 4 Bubinga Cups. I really love the way my D5000 sounds w/ the improvements. The D7000 can be purchased from an on-line retailer for about $600 USD, a lot of money but they look lovely.
Miguel
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 9:12am
James - I agree! I used to think I was a bit advanced, but in this headphone world (the better one) I'm a complete novice again.

I live in Crystal Palace, SE London but work in Camden (if that helps)...

Miguel - Thanks mate. That highlights an important point that too many people miss; find what sounds right to you (at any price). Once you've acheived that, you've finished your journey. My problem is I want to get to that level in one step so I "waste" minimal £££s and can then stay content, which is why I keep bugging guys so much. Big%20smile

I am currently in the process of arranging a demo on the D5000s, ATH-W1000s, and the HD650s, but I will have to go about 120 miles (which means a freezing cold bike ride or an expensive train journey); I know of nowhere nearer! Cry The lack of demo places is rediculous!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 7:04pm
Got hold of a pair of K701's long enough to do a serious appraisal.

These are supposed to be run in by now, maybe... (loaned off a friend)

I got them to be able to do a real try out of the Solo SRG, but will shortly do the same with the Novo.

I gave them the Slee burn-in process overnight... (clue: I like to be warm and cosy too!)

What a difference! I can see why there are so many going ape about the K701 - probably the best stereo image I've heard yet!

Bass last night was so tight it squeaked when it walked!

Today it's getting there, but more than that, I think they may just bring back that emotional content that this old work hardened cynic hasn't had the time to be bothered hearing since the Era Gold 5.

Yes! The equipment we make does that emotional thing - all of it! But this particular pair of K701's spoon-feed it like an elixir to the ailing Slee cranium (and I haven't been reading any reviewer prose by the way!)

I hope this is not a Solo SRG-only experience.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 9:15pm
T - we're a little off each other's normal track(s) but maybe we could work out some convenient/fun way to try some of my cans with your Novo? I have HD25/250/280/650, K701, DT770 (& more...) that may be relevant.

Harrow Audio are officially Senn, AT & Denon headphone stockists but they've been slow (!) at getting a demo D5000/A900 for me... They generally will carry HD600/650. Nice guy there called Richard but there's not much room in the shop to have a proper listen.

Another place is Noteworthy Audio in Aylesbury - apparently right by the Train station ~1 hour from Marylebone. I haven't been there but spoken to them on the phone a few times - always friendly and relatively knowledgeable considering most hifi shops are clueless about cans. I think they sell Graham's stuff too, though its not on their site.

Graham, didn't you write recently that you were less than impressed with the 701s? They blow a bit hot/cold with me but 3 weeks solid with Radio 2 did wake the bass up a bit. On a good day, they hit the spot (Solo serial no. 0906-05 + PSU1) esp. vox & female vox (Joni, Tracey Thorn, Lisa Gerrard, Elizabeth Fraser).

P.S. does that serial number mean the 5th unit made in Sep '06?

Edited by jamescodway - 14 Jan 2009 at 9:16pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 12:53am
Yes, you guessed!

Since 2007 we changed our serial numbers to modulo-seven LOL

Now only John Cadman knows when stuff was made...

The K701's have always sounded horrible to me until just last night I remembered how I got the HD250's to perform. A few hours of sweating it out above a hot radiator and the K701 seems to have nearly taken on proper studio monitoring status - credit where it's due!

I will have to see how they sound on the Novo but so far I've been taken aback by the way they rock with the Solo SRG. To be honest I've said some naff things about the K701 but I'd only been able to loan a pair for a few hours at a time. This time I've got them for a week so I can do a real appraisal. Will give my opinions of them with the Novo shortly.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic